Thursday, May 04, 2006

Beer and the MTB

What is it with mountain biking that makes it go hand in hand with cold beer? Never really figured that one out myself, but if you know of any good reason's for it, let me know. Actually, I guess any reason is usually a good reason to pop a cold one, especially after a three hour ride on rough singletrack out at Starr Pass. Ok, so maybe I just answered my own question.

Fun ride today. I threw some new tires on my mountain bike, which inspired me to take it out for a ride for the first time since late November. I think that out of the 6000 or so miles I've got in this year, I now have roughly 40 on the mtb. Robert, if you are reading this, looks like I've got a lot of catching up to do! Anyway, cruised out to Starr Pass solo, and was riding the main loop when I ran into Bruce from Fair Wheel Bikes (Eclipse sponsor, shameless plug here!) and David from DCB Adventures. The two of them were a bit lost, so we decided to ride in together. Made the ride a helluva lot more fun for me. They were both riding singlespeed 29'ers, which I have never been on before today. David let me ride a few miles on his, interesting to say the least. It was a short test, but the first thing that I noticed was the laidback cockpit and the feel of the HUGE wheels/tires that he was running. My K2 is still set up with a really aggressive XC position, but I think that the current trend in bike setup seems to be a way more upright position. Actually feels pretty good once you get used to it, just really different at first. One of these days I'll actually have to get a new mtb and get with the times. So we rode out of Starr Pass together and I bid them both adeu in the parking lot and started heading home, with a pit stop at Time Market in mind for a little pick-me-up of coffee and espresso.

After leaving Time Market (thoughly caffinated, of course) I was cruising down University Drive checking out the scene, when once again I ran into Bruce and Dave, this time hanging out for a post ride fixer-upper at Frog 'n Firkin. Bruce insisted on buying me a pint, so I figured "what the hell," and was able to catch a pretty good buzz in about 20 minutes of sipping on an Arrogant Bastard Ale. Funny who I run into while out, as the "Big Pickle" also showed up and joined us for a bit. Seems he is recovering fine after breaking two bones in his hand while trying to follow the Peltonen brothers down Mt. Lemmon a couple weeks ago. No pickles for him today, although he was eating a big basket of fish and chips.

That's about it for today. Adios.

No comments: