Tuesday, April 24, 2007

State Crit Champs

We all headed up to the Firebird International Raceway last Saturday for the AZ State Criterium Championships. I was hoping for some good results here for myself, as I had been 11th and 8th the past two years on the technical old town course in downtown Scottsdale. The Firebird course was the total oppisite, with no tecnical aspects at all, just wide open speed. It is designed as an automotive track, so all of the turns are take really wide arcs to allow for cars to get through them at speed, which to a cyclist means that you never really had to stop pedaling at all. Anyway, the race started fast and stayed fast, with no real moves ever getting away until race winner Curtis Gunn of Successful Living launched a solo break with about 6 or 7 laps to go. I'm not sure how he managed to hold off the field, but he did for a pretty impressive win. As for me, I made it into a couple short-lived moves, one halfway through the race and one with 3 to go, but none worked and I think I was around 20-25th in the field sprint for 2nd. Jared was the best placed Eclipse rider, and finished somewhere around 10-15th, but no results have been posted online yet, so I'm guessing at all of these.

Bisbee is this weekend. I think I may have come down with a cold or something as I haven't been feeling super hot the past few days, but I've been trying to get a lot of rest so that I come around by Friday's prologue. Slept for 12 hours last night and woke up this morning feeling a little bit better, but still pretty flat. Cross your fingers for me.

Below is a photo-shopped pic from the race. I'm pretty sure that it is me in the middle of the pic with the dark glasses on. Adios.

No comments: