Sunday, November 11, 2007

TCX #2: The Goat Rears It's Ugly Head

When my alarm went off this morning at 8:40, I laid in bed for at least 30 seconds wondering why the hell it was going off, before I remembered that I was doing a cyclocross race today. Finally made it up, fired up the coffee and a bit of food, then headed out the door for my first race on my new Scott cyclocross bike.

I think that things would have gone pretty well, had the goat not reared it's ugly head out on the course today, although that damn thing bit just about everyone else at one point during the race. I was riding pretty well, comfortably in 4th about 25 seconds back of 2nd and 3rd halfway through the race when, pssssssssttttt, double flat. No wheels in the pit. Race could be over. Thanks to Jen Pullen, who pulled both wheels off of her bike and met me in the pit so I could continue. Back on the bike after a three minute wheel change (note: need easier brakes) and I think I was in 7th or 8th, no chance to catch 3rd, but plenty of guys within reach. Made it back up to 5th and was closing in on 4th with about two laps to go when I got another flat on the backside of the course. No more wheels, thought I was done, but luckily my original back wheel only had a slow leak and I was able to put it back on. The leader passed me while I was in the pit, so suddenly I was on the bell lap, way back in 9th. Passed two guys but ran out of real estate in the end to finish 7th.

I hate goatheads.

On a side note, congrats to Brian Matter for taking his second win at the Iceman Challenge, a.k.a. the midwest mtb championships. Adios.

Here is a picture of me on my way to 7th overall in the 1999 Iceman.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

KAARRRREEEEEEEEEEEW...Lions to the Superbowl......I think you spoke to soon! Scott CX Bike looks nice.