Sunday, November 04, 2007

Underground Means Buried

So I went to a local cross race here in Tucson today. It was an unsanctioned, underground event that I think was a little too underground with only four guys showing up and two of them left before anyone else got there. Two more guys showed up about 35 minutes after the racing was slated to start, and with a total now of five guys there, including the promoter, we all decided to bag it. I ended up riding the cross bike out over Gates Pass and through the park on the west side, so I still had a good day on the bike.

I still think that a cross series could go off well in Tucson if it was promoted correctly. There is already talk of a series in the works for the fall of 2008, so that could be something to look forward to. The Phoenix series that has started could be a good model for the rest of us to follow, or even build upon to create a statewide series in '08. We'll have to see what happens. Adios.