Sunday, July 27, 2008

Shootout Adventures

Bit late with the report because I got pretty busy after the ride yesterday...sorry Kyle, I know you probably lost some sleep waiting for this.

I went to the shootout yesterday with one goal, which was to sit in until we got near the bridge, then bust my ass to make the break. Needless to say, things worked out perfectly. Pace was pretty fast leading up to the bridge, and with about a mile or so out I found myself in a good four man break that I thought might stick. It didn't, as we were caught right before the bridge started to kick up. I was drifting back through the pack at this point, and noticed that a bunch of heavy hitters were all sitting around the top ten. "This is going to be it", I thought to myself, so I slotted in right around tenth or so. Going over the top it was pretty strung out and after moving to the front to take a pull, I looked back and saw that our group had about a 300 meter gap on the remainder of the field. That was the last that we saw of them for the rest of the day, as the bunch of us rolled pretty fast all the way to the sprint hill. Just about everyone was there, including The Laser, Prolovito, Snake, John (needs a nickname) Skolnick, the Wolf Cub (and his brother), Middleton, Curtis "the" Gunn "show", the Colorado Kid, Ricatello (wtf???), and a few others. The Laser kept his record clean and won the hill for the millionth time, while I think I limped in around 6th or 7th.

The pace stayed fast all the way back to town, as we kept it rolling around 30mph into a headwind down old Nogi. About a mile before the sprint, the Gunn show opened up a can of whoop-ass on the TT bike and dropped everybody at around 36mph. I made it home and was pretty much done for the rest of the day. Good ride, lots of fun was had by all. Adios.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

where was double d? I am sure he would have dumped some heavy watts on you and the rest of the crew. He loves watts! Hot that thing, Karew!!!!