Saturday, March 14, 2009

Hillsboro Day 1

Long day today. Started with a 4:30am wake up call after a restless 4.5 hours of sleep. I headed over to campus to meet up with the University of Arizona Cycling Team to drive over to the 20km time trial just outside of Las Cruces, NM. Fast forward 5 hours (including the one hour time change) in the car and we had arrived at out destination. The 50 degree temps that greeted us as we exited the car were a shock to the system after the month of 70's that Tucson has been experiencing as of late.

After about a 30 minute warm-up, I headed over to the start. Jon Scholnick was my 30 second man, so I figured that it would only be a matter of time before he caught me. The course was mostly flat, with some low grade rolling terrain and lots of wind. I started a little slow, taking my time to get into a nice rhythm. Jon caught me after about 5km which gave me some motivation to push a little harder. In the end it was a decent effort, good training, and I hope to be able to build on this ride in the weeks to come.

We finally made it to the hotel around 3:30 after a little post-TT ride. Everyone headed out for some authentic Las Cruces Mexican food followed by a impromptu pull-up contest. A couple beers back at the hotel and an early night followed. Tomorrow is the road race in Hillsboro, which is about 50 miles from the hotel, so it is going to be an early night for me and I am going to hit the pillow as soon as I finish this sentence. Adios.

No comments: