Sunday, March 28, 2010

Germantown Race Report

Ohio Valley Spring Series Race #1


Dusted the cobwebs off the hog and blew out the legs today in the first installment of the 2010 Ohio Valley Spring Race Series in Germantown, OH. The weather-guessers had been forecasting Belgium-style weather, 50 degrees with an 80% chance of rain. This had the affect of scaring off a lot of guys, including myself. However, I decided yesterday afternoon to H.T.F.U. and signed up. I figured that after a winter of training in the shit weather of Cincinnati, a little rain couldn't hurt me, either.

We were only scheduled to race 51 miles (7 laps), can't be that hard, right? Right! Ha. The race started fast and furious, with attacks from the gun. I got caught up in a two man chase group behind a group of three that were up the road during the second lap. Didn't have the legs to hang, so I sat-up, went back to the pack before I was dropped, and tried to recover before the major move of the day came.

The move went down as we were approaching the start/finish at the end of lap 2. There was a stair-step climb on the approach and a group of eight rolled off the front. It wasn't really an attack, more like a split in the field. I was blown out at the time and watched it go.

The next lap was basically spent rolling around with the group and trying to recover from the earlier efforts of the race. I wasn't recovering that well and was actually thinking of calling it a day and heading to the car, but instead decided to try a do or die effort, rolling off the front just after the start of the 4th lap. The bunch was tired and let me go. Great, I thought. Half a lap later I saw O'Brian (OB) Forbes bridging up, so I slowed and let him catch on. For those who don't know, OB was known for years as The Man around the Cincinnati area, and is a multi-time state champion on the road. Nice guy, too! We spent the next four laps together and held off the rest of the bunch by about 45 seconds in the end, finishing up in the last two money spots in 9th and 10th, which was nice because I was suffering like a dog the entire time.



The best part of the day was that the rain held out until the drive home. That made my Tucson blood happy! Adios.

No comments: