Sunday, April 25, 2010

Back on the Pain Wagon at Spring Valley

Today's race had potential to be epic. The forecast called for thunderstorms all day, and there were reports of tornado's in the area. Thankfully, the weather held out for the most part until the drive home. As for the race, well, let's just say that the storm hit on the first lap, and only the strong survived.

Things were tranquil on the line, as everyone contemplated what could be coming out of the sky over the next three hours.


We rolled out and I decided to pull the retard card, attacking from the gun to see if I could make it up the road before the inevitable early break formed. I was hoping to get in that break when they bridged up to me. Alas, this turned out to be a foolish idea.


In the windy conditions, the screws were quickly turned coming through the start/finish, and I found myself riding with John Murdoch of Huntington Bank for the next three laps as we worked together to get back to the remnants of the group.


I think this was shortly before we bridged back up to the main group.


With 1.5 laps to go, I attacked the group in a bid for the top ten. Could have sat in, but it was a little boring so I thought I'd give it a try. Needed another 30 seconds in the end, but I was happy with the effort. It's tough out there riding solo against teams of 5-6 riders. Makes for some interesting tactics. The smart play would have been to sit in all day and follow wheels, but sometimes you have to try and make the race.

Thanks to Jeffrey Jakucyk for the photos. Adios.

3 comments:

Bart Wellisley said...

That's great! When I last raced road that's what I did every race. Not knowing, I ended up winning the series overall "Most Agressive Rider" title with a red jersey. It was a great reward, not to mention all the primes I won. :) Definitely makes things interesting and fun! Good luck in the next 1!!

Hightower said...

Keep up the attacks! Did you see J-Rod tearing it up in Bisbee?

Karew said...

Yeah, J-Rod was looking good at Bisbee. PT and Jake looked great out there also. How's the leg?